[Gllug] Canon PowerShot S50

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 8 23:37:30 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 23:55, Richard Turner wrote:

> I followed instructions to try to get gphoto2 working with it, so now
> when I switch the camera on it's detected and since there's no driver
> set to handle it, hotplug is used to run a script that should launch
> gtkam.  In fact it's the script that ships with gphoto2 called
> usbcam.x11 (listed below).  gtkam doesn't start though, and refuses to
> detect my camera if I start it manually.

I'd start with the manual stuff. The S45 and S50 support two transport
modes - Canon's proprietary protocol, or PTP mode. In my experience, the
reverse engineered Canon driver in gphoto2 is better than the PTP
driver, so you should make sure the camera is *not* set to PTP mode.

The, try getting images from it using just the gphoto2 command line
driver. For testing purposes, you can do this as root, so as to avoid
any permission issues. Once you've confirmed it works you should
obviously switch back to a regular user, fixing anything that needs
fixing.

You'll need the new version of gphoto2 (2.1.2) for the S50. Do:-

gphoto2 --list-cameras

to get a list of supported cameras. The S50 should be in the list:-

        "Canon PowerShot S45 (normal mode)"
        "Canon PowerShot S45 (PTP mode)" (TESTING)
        "Canon PowerShot S50 (normal mode)"

"gphoto2 --list-ports" should show your usb port:-

# gphoto2 --list-ports
Devices found:
5
Path                             Description
serial:/dev/ttyS0                Serial Port 0
serial:/dev/ttyS1                Serial Port 1
serial:/dev/ttyS2                Serial Port 2
serial:/dev/ttyS3                Serial Port 3
usb:                             Universal Serial Bus

"gphoto2 --get-all-files" should then grab images from the camera. If
that works, you can play with gtkam and hotplug...

Once you've done all that, you should go to David Coffin's website,
here:-

http://www2.primushost.com/~dcoffin/powershot/

You can pick up a Canon raw file decoder and GIMP plugin from there. If
you want a better one, you could consider BreezeBrowser, a registerware
Windows app from http://www.breezesys.com - it's inexpensive, does a
good job, and runs happily under wine (with only a little tweaking).

> I'm stumped :(  I'm sure that I've done everything on
> url(http://gphoto.sourceforge.net/doc/manual/permissions-usb.html#usb-on-linux) but it doesn't want to play :(
>
> The horrible thing is, since I also have a Sony NetMD that I can't use
> with Linux I'm contemplating installing WinXP as well in order to use
> these devices!

The NetMD is a lost cause. It's DRM'ed to hell, and even the Windows
users hate the Sony software, which is the only thing that'll work with
it.

HTH,

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk