[Gllug] Market for low-cost Linux servers/networks?

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Wed Sep 10 10:49:00 UTC 2003

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, will wrote:

> > I've wondered about this ... Is UML actually secure? Last time I
> > looked, it mapped the (guest) kernel into user space, and it looked as
> > if you could just write there, if you could work out the address. I'm
> > not sure if they protected the kernel in some way ...
>
> Dunno how secure (not looked into it much myself) but I know for certain
> a few hosting companies using it, and I can guess at a few others (64Mb
> ram, 3Gig disk dedicated server anyone?).  It's use seems to be increasing.

I'm working on a UML offering from UKFSN at the moment.

I'll check into the security side of things. I know that there was a
remote risk a couple of years ago however I think it was addressed when
the host kernel patch was changed a while back. I may be wrong though.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/		ADSL Broadband available now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk