[Gllug] Junk mail to non-existent users on my domain

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 13 22:57:48 UTC 2003

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003, Chris Bell stated:
>    I have just received several error messages, showing headers, and
> reporting that some junk emails to non-existent users on my domain that were
> being left at my ISP. In fact they were the email IDs of emails posted to
> GLLUG in summer 2001 and summer 2002.

About 60% of the email directed at my domain is directed at mailbox
names corresponding to posters to the gcc and linux-kernel lists. Of
course, few such names exist here; there is no
`torvalds at esperi.demon.co.uk', for instance.

I guess some scamster somewhere has made his `CD of email addresses'
even bigger by taking advantage of a combinatorial explosion...

--
`I treat debconf as a hostile imperialist agent.  "ALL CONFIGS YOURS
 NOW CONFIGS OURS ARE."' --- Stephen J. Turnbull

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk