[Gllug] traceroute results [OT]

Jonathan Dye jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com
Thu Sep 11 10:22:02 UTC 2003

Hi,

My home PC that is connected to the net via ADSL has just disappeared from
the internet.  I have a router with an external IP address and a block of
internal public IP addresses.  I can ping my router on both it's internal
and external IPs but can't ping my PC and I get TTL exceeded.  I thought
this was quite odd so I did a traceroute to the PC and the router.  The
traceroute to the PC gets as far as the hop before my router and then all
the remaining hops come from a single machine on BTs adsl network.  I was
expecting the last hop to be my router and the remaining hops to be
unreachable.

Is this normal behaviour?  Has anyone seen this before?

JD

MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk