[Gllug] traceroute results [OT]

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 11 14:18:13 UTC 2003

On Thu 11 Sep, Jonathan Dye wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My home PC that is connected to the net via ADSL has just disappeared from
> the internet.  I have a router with an external IP address and a block of
> internal public IP addresses.  I can ping my router on both it's internal
> and external IPs but can't ping my PC and I get TTL exceeded.  I thought
> this was quite odd so I did a traceroute to the PC and the router.  The
> traceroute to the PC gets as far as the hop before my router and then all
> the remaining hops come from a single machine on BTs adsl network.  I was
> expecting the last hop to be my router and the remaining hops to be
> unreachable.
>
> Is this normal behaviour?  Has anyone seen this before?

   I have had recent problems with my ADSL, now I hope cured, and I was only
able to ping or traceroute as far as some local BT machines. It seems that
many ISPs are not currently providing some standard services such as ping or
echo (used by traceroute) that have been used by recent M$ viruses, so I am
not able to confirm what the problem was, either mechanical, equipment, or
software failures, or overload due to virus attacks, although in my case it
appeared to be outside the control of my ISP.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk