[Gllug] Plug for Ogg Vorbis and OSS on BBC Click Online

ted.bell at lineone.net ted.bell at lineone.net
Mon Sep 1 09:39:40 UTC 2003

You forgot to mention all the staff they either made redundant or TUPE'd
over to external service providers (like me).

Ted

   Unfortunately there is not "a BBC" at present, the previous
administration completely destroyed cooperation by splitting the corporation
into as many piec
>s ("business units") as possible, forcing them to compete
with each other for any work, while making it as difficult as possible to
use internal resources instead of hiring outside facilities. The government
of the time insisted on very expensive an
>ual external audits, which just
resulted in surprise at the low overall running costs, but they still went
ahead with the changes.
   It used to be possible to obtain the best help and advice available just
by asking around, but trade secrets and o
>her help and assistance became
only available if you would pay for them, right down to the cost of the
last
paperclip. Programmes were purchased from anyone they could persuade to
make
them, and shared funding was accepted, so they had less control
>ver
content. Very similar programmes made by the same contractor even appeared
without warning on competing channels, sometimes only days before the BBC
"exclusive" version. The content may not have been identical, but it was
still obviously made a
> the same time.
   There were huge hidden costs, admin staff multiplied to cope with
arranging contracts, and second-guessing what should be written into them,
while the slightest change resulted in huge penalty charges. The current
management is f
>ghting to get some sense back into the system, but it will
be a long battle.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk