[Gllug] university windows-only policy

David Irvine maillist at glasgownet.com
Mon Sep 29 16:40:49 UTC 2003

> I'm thinking I'd rather raise the issue and let it be their problem
> than take on the burden and risk of doing anything on the sly, but
> hypothetically speaking, what steps would I need to take to prevent my
> laptop from being identifiable as a Linux box? Do web proxies and mail
> servers normally log the client user agents and remote MTA's? Is there
> anything short of shutting them down that I could do with apache and
> ssh servers that I run locally? Is there any way to stop X11 from
> showing up on an nmap scan and still use the GUI?

Off the top of my head, things that you can do to help 'disquise' your
box...

Change your browser id string to say whatever windows says, ie, not
mozilla on linux...

Drop icmp ping packets, m$ machines don't respond to pings...

Make sure your not running anything to give the game away like erm, nfs
or something you don't get on windows.

When I was at uni the policy dictated you couldn't plug anything in,
subsequently we just nmapped a windows box, made sure we had the same
services running,  unplugged it, spoofed its mac address and dhcliented,
worked a treat.

You can use nmap to try to guess a machine type which could help you
out.

HTH

David

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk