[Gllug] university windows-only policy

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Mon Sep 29 16:19:36 UTC 2003

David Irvine wrote:
> Off the top of my head, things that you can do to help 'disquise' your
> box...
>
> Change your browser id string to say whatever windows says, ie, not
> mozilla on linux...

Yukyukyuk, that would make me feel dirty.  If you have another mahine
outside the university somewhere, install squid on it and use SSH to
tunnel HTTP proxy requests through the tunnel.  Or get some sort of VPN
going.

> Make sure your not running anything to give the game away like erm, nfs
> or something you don't get on windows.

If you are runnung no external services then they shouldn't be able to
tell the difference between a linux box and a firewalled windows box.
You could tunnel all your traffic through SSH, and you can get SSH
clients on windows, nothing too strange there...

Now you just need to get a desktop theme that looks like windows :-)

Will

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk