[Gllug] Sony NetMD (was Re: Canon PowerShot S50)

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Wed Sep 10 14:31:51 UTC 2003

Hi all, (just back from Australia and Japan last night, for those that care)

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 10:13:52AM +0100, Wulf Forrester-Barker wrote:
> Mike <mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > The NetMD is a lost cause. It's DRM'ed to hell, and even the Windows
> > users hate the Sony software, which is the only thing that'll work with
> > it.
>
> Not quite true (although the Sony software IS horrible... it's now
> moderately reliable as long as I only use it to preview and name tracks
> on the disk). I've got a good piece of freeware called WinNMD (sorry -
> still Windows only) which I use for grabbing tracks back from MD to PC
> (mainly rehearsal and concert material from my band).

But then that is done in real-time via analog.  AFAIK, the protocol doesn't
allow for digital transfer over USB from MD to PC.

> I thought there were some open source and Linux based solutions being
> developed or have they all stalled? I must admit to still rarely using
> Linux at home (last time I looked I couldn't find anything to get my
> Conexant Access Runner USB ADSL modem working under Linux and haven't
> got round to upgrading the hardware) although it's working very smoothly
> as my primary desktop (Mdk 9.0) at work.

The following is still being worked on, although not much has been done in
the last few months:

http://www.pdr.cx/projects/gnetmd/#top

It's based on a library by Marc Britten, but his website is (still!)
temporarily unavailable.

It currently includes xmms and nautilus plugins and a standalone GNOME GUI.

> I hope the open source projects are continuing - being able to exercise
> some control over the MD from the PC is great and something like the
> ability to use the PC to insert mark points during a concert recording
> would be one of those 'killer applications' that would encourage me to
> get a move on in switching over at home. Does anyone have any more news
> on what is being developed there?

It is likely that inserting track marks via USB will never be possible since
it seems that the protocol doesn't allow for this.

Pete

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk