[Gllug] Custom kernels

Grzegorz Jaskiewicz gj at pointblue.com.pl
Tue Sep 30 09:40:08 UTC 2003

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Henrik Morsing wrote:

> > Redhat have always shipped 'customised' - read patched kernels.
> > For instance, the latest RH kernels come with NPTL. There was a report.
>
> Patched yes but IBM has been changing code in the kernel and also
> developed parts they felt where missing. Filesystem changes was one of
> them. I've heard of one more but can't remember which one.
I think this will be included into kernel anyway.
There is feature freeze now in kernel tree, so not everything can be
included now. But will be in 2.7 for sure.
Anyway, as long as you got sources, it is ok. You can always add this to
your own custom kernel.

Again, many add drivers and other features not present in kernel to their
distribution kernel.
As a good example, cryptoloop - feature that alows you to use encrypted
partitions. It is still not present in kernel, at least it is not usable
for userspace.

--
GJ

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk