[Gllug] OT: coping with long hours at the computer

Branden Faulls bfaulls at omphe.com
Sat Sep 27 08:57:08 UTC 2003

Garry Heaton wrote:

> I take breaks every 30mins. or so as directed by my therapist. Maybe
> Alexander is too passive though I've heard it can work wonders. I just need
> something quicker and more pro-active.

I recovered from my injury with Pilates, which worked well for me.
Alexander has a very good reputation, you may just have to give it time.
   Coming from a physical profession, I will agree that you have to
strengthen a painful body and not just relax your way to health, but
your first priority should be regaining your humanity by erasing the pain.

Consider this...

It took you nearly a year to learn how to sit up and stand in the first
place and you did it without the distractions of computers/speaking
coherently/bothering to relieve yourself in a hygenic way.[delete as
appropriate]

You've had 40+ years to perfect your current, painful posture.

It's going to take some time to unlearn bad habits.

My opinion is that it all comes down to balance and lack of strain. From
what I've heard, Alexander is great for those. Find whatever you feels
works for you.

Branden

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk