[Gllug] Custom kernels

Henrik Morsing henrik at morsing.cc
Tue Sep 30 09:25:09 UTC 2003

> Redhat have always shipped 'customised' - read patched kernels.
> For instance, the latest RH kernels come with NPTL. There was a report.

Patched yes but IBM has been changing code in the kernel and also
developed parts they felt where missing. Filesystem changes was one of
them. I've heard of one more but can't remember which one.

As I read the RH article they had developed something and put it into the
kernel.
S.u.S.E. has never changed the kernel.

> Don't get your knikers in a twist. The marketing types may be putting a
> spin on this - but everything should be transparent. That's the beauty of
> Linux.

But if RH, S.u.S.E. etc, starts changing the kernel it will be a mess to
keep track of won't it?

Henrik Morsing
henrik at morsing.cc

---