[Gllug] Linux Hub/Switch

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Tue Sep 23 15:35:34 UTC 2003

Stan wrote:

> That's kind of what I have at the moment.  It's a 100MB fibre link and
> each port on the 16port switch actually feeds another switch(s) on a
> student staircase with an average of 20 connected machines.

I think a few low cost routers are thw way to go. You could go crazy and
make each staircase (group of ~20 students) a different subnet. Build a
few router boxes which each then uplink to the switch. As they're on
seperate cables, and logically separate networks you should be able to
at least limit the infection in lots of different ways.

I guess each router should connect to (number of avail. PCI slots - 1)
staircase groups. The last PCI slot is for the uplink to the switch for
the building. Each router should have a default route, as well as the
route to each of the other subnets in the building. You can stop and
isolate traffic using these routers and pretty standard firewall steups
as you see fit. Shouldn't be too expensive either as the harware is all
commodity stuff. I suppose you choose the boxes for the routers based on
lowest cost per PCI slot.

My 2p.

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk