[Gllug] Linux Hub/Switch

Peter Ball CFL at marguet-ball.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 23 15:27:42 UTC 2003

On 23 Sep 2003 at 15:53, Stan wrote:

> > Without knowing details of your setup I can only guess but if you
> > have an adsl link or a leased line router, feed that in a dual or
> > multi-homed linux box let that do the firewalling and plug the
> > uplink from your switch into that.
>
> That's kind of what I have at the moment.  It's a 100MB fibre link and
> each port on the 16port switch actually feeds another switch(s) on a
> student staircase with an average of 20 connected machines.
>
> I'm just thinking about reducing the cross infection between
> staircases when all the students return.  Plus sounded kinda cool!
> Might even have added benfits in the future!

Stick a cheap ethernet to ethernet router with NAT between each staircase switch and
the main switch this will stock cross-infection of most crud and require very little
management.

The wan side of the NAT router will be limited to to 10Mbs but that is not necessarily a
bad thing since it will inherently stop anyone staircase hogging all the bandwidth.

The routers I use have a list price of £55.50.  If your interested call me off list and I'll see
what I can do:

                                         || 100MB fibre
                                --------------
                               |  Firewall |
                               --------------
                               ---------------------------
                               |  Backbone Switch  |
                               ---------------------------
                                 ||                    ||
                        ----------------     ----------------
                        | NAT router|    | NAT router|
                        ----------------     -----------------
                                 ||                   ||
                        ----------------      ----------------
                        |Staircase   |      |Staircase   |
                        | Switch      |       | Switch      |
                        ----------------      ----------------
                          ||         ||               ||         ||
                        ------   -----            ------   -----
                        |PC|   |PC|            |PC|   |PC|

Peter Ball
Computers For Linguists
peter.ball at marguet-ball.net
Tel:    +44(0)20 7732 1741
Fax:    +44(0)20 7358 9214
Mobile: +44(0)77 1968 2913
45 Endwell Road, London, SE4 2PQ, United Kingdom

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk