[Gllug] Canon PowerShot S50

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 10 22:26:09 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-10 at 22:43, Mark Preston wrote:

> FWIW I've had success with getting an Olympus C-40 Zoom Camedia camera
> working under Linux. Here is a rough idea of what to try that may work
> if gPhoto etc won't work.
> As root type
> ps aux | grep usb
>
> do this with no usb devices attached and you should get nothing printed
> to the screen. Then attach your camera to a usb port, switch it on, and
> type in the same command. This time you should get a line printed to the
> screen if your camera is recognised.
> Then type
> modprobe usb-storage

This only works if the camera in question acts as a USB mass storage
device. Canon cameras don't - they mostly support a proprietary
protocol, and the newer ones support PTP (picture transport protocol) as
well/instead.

Gphoto2 supports most Canon cameras well - the canon proprietary
protocol has been reverse engineered, and PTP support is also mostly
working in gphoto. Sometimes it takes a little while for the new cameras
to be properly supported, though. However, all Canon's use CF storage,
so a card reader is also a good option. Sadly, Canon aren't a very linux
friendly company on the whole. They do make very good cameras, though.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk