[Gllug] Partition Table Problem

French, Alastair Alastair.French at racalinstruments.com
Mon Sep 8 07:52:56 UTC 2003

Hi all

I hope someone can help, I have a semi dead disk and no recent back up!

The machine is a dual boot (2000 & SuSE 8.1). I was using 2000 and Explorer
crashed, a few minutes later there were read errors from the "D" drive. I
rebooted and got a failure on NT LOADER. A few more reboots and the BIOS was
reporting a failed Primary Disk.

I took the disk a put it as a slave on the secondary channel in a working
SuSE 8.1 machine. A bit of fdisking later and the partition table was
corrupt. Fdisk suggested that a write would fix most of it and sure enough I
can now read the partition table.

The disk from what I remember had the following

1	Win2000 Boot	NTFS
2	Extended
3	Swap
4	Linux			Ext2
5	Windows Data	Either NTFS or FAT32

I can read 1 & 4, mount reports that 3 is swap and won't mount it, 2 is
reported as possible extended and won't mount. 5 reports that the superblock
is bad and the partition is too big.

I seem to remember that superblocks are repeated, how do I tell where the
copy of the superblock is so I can point e2fsck at it?

Is it safe to just recreate the logical partition (5) to fill the extended
(2) and hope! All the data that I need is of course in the area that I can;t
access.

If it would be of any help I have the dump from fdisk showing the start and
finish of each partition.

Thanks

Alastair

PS any recommendations for a new disk and DVD burner!

This email and any attached files are confidential and intended
solely for the use of the individual/s or entity to whom it is
addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify:-
postmaster at racalinstruments.com.

RACAL INSTRUMENTS WIRELESS SOLUTIONS.
An AEROFLEX Company. Visit our website at:-
http://www.racalinstruments.com/

This footnote also confirms that this email message has
been swept for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk