[Gllug] Partition Table Problem

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Mon Sep 8 09:30:00 UTC 2003

And verily, didst French, Alastair announce to the hordes:
> The disk from what I remember had the following
>
> 1	Win2000 Boot	NTFS
> 2	Extended
> 3	Swap
> 4	Linux			Ext2
> 5	Windows Data	Either NTFS or FAT32
>
> I can read 1 & 4, mount reports that 3 is swap and won't mount it, 2 is
> reported as possible extended and won't mount. 5 reports that the superblock
> is bad and the partition is too big.

Partition 2: Extended. You can't mount that, IT contains swap, linux and
windows data. You mount or use them
Partition 3: Swap. You don't mount that, you swapon /dev/hda3
Partition 5: If it reports bad superblock you obviously missed out the end
of that error message. It says please specify the correct file system type,
so mount -t fat32 /dev/hda5 /mnt or mount -t ntfs /dev/hda5 /mnt

> I seem to remember that superblocks are repeated, how do I tell where the
> copy of the superblock is so I can point e2fsck at it?

Not on a fat32 or NTFS. e2fsck == ext2 file system check.

> Is it safe to just recreate the logical partition (5) to fill the extended
> (2) and hope! All the data that I need is of course in the area that I can;t
> access.

Looks fine from where I'm sitting.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk