[Gllug] [OT] OpenCourseWare

Alan Peery peery at io.com
Mon Sep 1 10:19:07 UTC 2003

Richard Jones wrote:

>Isn't MIT broadly funded by the US government? If so then it sounds
>like they should release it under a BSD license (at least to US
>citizens, even if not to the rest of us).

MIT is a more research oriented university, and therefore probably lands
quite a few research grants.  Since reputations take some time to
accumulate, they have probably been doing well for a while.  Other than
that effect (which also helps Stanford and Johns Hopkins a great deal,
and many other universities), I don't belive that there is any special
funding at MIT.   The cumulative effect at Johns Hopkins  for all the
medical research was around $600 million a year IIRC, but that was an
exceptional case.

There are some interesting cases of direct federal funding of specific
initiatives at universities, like CERT (www.cert.org) at Carnegie
Mellon, but they are usually specific to the program and don't really
impact the broader funding of the university.

If there is special funding at MIT, I would be interested in finding out
about it.  I'd like to hook my alma mater up to the same funding
pipeline. :-)

Alan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk