[Gllug] Debain: Laptop.

Peter Childs Blue.Dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Sep 13 15:35:07 UTC 2003

	I have been trying to install Debain on my Laptop. Mostly because I really
think I need to know how to use somthing other than Redhat and you lot saying
how wonderful Debain is.
	I finally managed to get Debain on off the first CD of Woody and its install
program is not straght forward. I did think of trying the Knoppix method but
I can not quite remember what that is.
	Problems

1. How do I get my 8139too PCMICA network card working Works fine under Redhat
but when I try to bring the Network up it says
SIO

2. Is there a no X Run level under debain I can't find it!

3. X kills my LCD display and I have no idea what the correct drivers are but
it works soft of under Redhat.

4. How do I upgrade to ext3 so I don't have to wait agest when ever the
machine crashes!

	Help would be most handy.

Peter Childs
PS. Its a Toshiba 490CDT Laptop. Its faily elderly but not that bad (Pentium
II 64Mb Ram)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk