[Gllug] Debian: Laptop.

David Pashley david at davidpashley.com
Sun Sep 14 08:16:11 UTC 2003

On Sep 13, 2003 at 20:11, Martin A. Brooks praised the llamas by saying:
> At 16:35 13/09/2003 +0100, you wrote:
> >        I have been trying to install Debain
>
> Most people call it Debian :)
>
> >1. How do I get my 8139too PCMICA network card working Works fine under
> >Redhat
> >but when I try to bring the Network up it says
>
> Install pcmcia-cs
>
> 2. Is there a no X Run level under debain I can't find it!
>
> /etc/inittab

Debian doesn't use different runlevels for X and non-X. You either start
{k,x,g}dm or you don't.

> >3. X kills my LCD display and I have no idea what the correct drivers are
> >but
> >it works soft of under Redhat.
>
> Getting X to work with laptop LCDs can be interesting.  You'll need to
> fiddle with the resolution and sync rates.

A copy of lspci would be very helpful in working out what graphics card
you have. Oh and a copy of /var/log/XFree86.0.log too.

> >4. How do I upgrade to ext3 so I don't have to wait agest when ever the
>
> You'll need to make sure you have kernel support for ext3 then:
>
> "tune2fs -j /dev/XXXX"
>
> where XXXX is the name of the partition you wish to convert.  You then need
> to edit /etc/fstab and change the fs type accordingly.

You possibly want ot reboot after making this change so it correctly
moves the journal, but this is not very important aiui.

> Regards
>
> Martin A. Brooks, Clues Ltd.
> http://www.clues.ltd.uk/
>

> --