[Gllug] OT: Windows XP refuses internet access

Avtar Marwaha avtar at vestrivan.net
Sat Sep 20 15:36:54 UTC 2003

Dylan wrote:
> When I open IE and try to connect it says: "Forbidden. Access denied by access
> control list". Now, I'm pleased to say that I'm a bit adrift when it comes to
> XP, so what's going on? She usually uses a dialup, if that might be anything
> to do with it...
>
> Obviously, I want to try and get her as secure as possible..
>
> TIA for any help
>
> Dylan

What ISP did she use?  She may have a proxy server from them setup in IE
and it is denying access to the web because you are in a different IP
range.

You can check by going to IE -> Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections
-> then either Lan settings at the bottom or settings for each dial up
setup on the computer.

Avtar

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk