[Gllug] CNAME in a BIND9 Zone File

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 11 21:52:25 UTC 2003

Hello,
   I am trying to correct a reported error in a zone file for the domain
"localdomain". There are no reported errors amongst the NS, MX, and A
records, but if I want to refer to a machine by just its name, and enter a
corresponding CNAME record to supply the fully qualified domain name, that
line is ignored as out-of-zone data. I have tried various configurations
without success, and am not sure whether it is a problem of location or
contents of the line. All the CNAME records are at the end of the file.
   A typical line showing the single word alias and FQDN appears at the end
of /etc/bind/db.localdomain

hotdogs.  IN  CNAME  hotdogs.localdomain.

   Any help much appreciated, thanks.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk