[Gllug] CNAME in a BIND9 Zone File

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Thu Sep 11 22:13:52 UTC 2003

Chris Bell wrote:

>Hello,
>   I am trying to correct a reported error in a zone file for the domain
>"localdomain". There are no reported errors amongst the NS, MX, and A
>records, but if I want to refer to a machine by just its name, and enter a
>corresponding CNAME record to supply the fully qualified domain name, that
>line is ignored as out-of-zone data. I have tried various configurations
>without success, and am not sure whether it is a problem of location or
>contents of the line. All the CNAME records are at the end of the file.
>   A typical line showing the single word alias and FQDN appears at the end
>of /etc/bind/db.localdomain
>
>hotdogs.  IN  CNAME  hotdogs.localdomain.
>
>   Any help much appreciated, thanks.

Are you sure you should not be looking looking at the search option in
the resolv.conf.  When your machine searches for hotdogs it will try
hotdogs.searchdomain.com hotdogs.searchdomain2.com then hotdogs.

I think your nameserver sees that it has no authority for hotdogs and
goes straight to root servers.

if you turn on querylog (rndc querylog) and watch the messeges log on
your nameserver you will see the queries as they come in.

Kind regards
Xander

--
You mean you didn't *know* she was off making lots of little phone companies?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk