[Gllug] Apache2 and php4

Chris Haynes chris.haynes at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Sep 5 18:50:02 UTC 2003

Hello all,

I am attempting to install Apache 2.0.47 and php4.3.3 on slackware8.1. I am
pretty new to linux and this is something of a learning experience and so I
was anticipating a few problems along the way. Now I have pretty much
followed the instructions at lamps.efactory.de/e-lamps-2-0.shtml word for
word, but when i try to access a simple php file (<?php phpinfo(); ?>) in
lynx it just shows me the source code (i.e. <?php phpinfo(); ?>). httpd is
definitely running. I have googled for this and there are lots of instances
of the problem, but no real answers.

I have installed apache from source, and it seems to run happily. I can see
the apache welcome page and there were no runtime or compile-time errors, so
I assume there is no problem there.

configure file was:

cd /usr/local/src/lamps/httpd-2.0.47/
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache2/2.0.47 \
--enable-modules=all \
--enable-ssl \
--with-ssl=/usr/local/openssl/current \
--enable-so
make
make install

I have also installed php from source, and again it seemed to compile fine.
The configure file was:

cd /usr/local/src/lamps/php-4.3.3
./configure \
--with-apxs2=/usr/local/apache2/current/bin/apxs \
--with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql/current \
--with-zlib-dir=/usr/lib/ \
--enable-versioning \
--enable-track-vars=yes \
--enable-url-includes \
--enable-sysvshm=yes \
--enable-sysvsem=yes \
--enable-ftp \
--with-config-file-path=/etc \
--with-gd
make
make install

and copied php.ini into /etc/

I have also added the appropriate lines into httpd.conf, namely

AddType application/x-httpd-php php
AddType application/x-httpd-php-source phps

and

LoadModule php4_module modules/libphp4.so

But no luck with php files, so any ideas? As I said I'm new to this so if
there are any other files that would be helpful in diagnosis just tell me
and I'll post them,

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk