[Gllug] Linux for old 486

Peter Childs blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Sep 1 14:42:00 UTC 2003

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Doug Winter wrote:

> > > You can boot debian off floppies, and install over the network?
> >
> > Not on 8MB.
> > BSD and Minix does require less RAM.
>
> whoops missed that.  Debian needs 12Mb minimum.  soz.
>
> doug.

	I seam to remeber install Slackware once on a 8Mb 486SX laptop.
	In slackware early slackware distributions under slakware are a
number of directories a1, a2, a3 each of these should fit on a 1.44floppy
and then will install from the boot disk.
	I found that Linux, ran a lot quicker than DOS ever did and did a
lot more..... But that was about 5 years ago.

Peter

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk