[Gllug] Sony NetMD

Wulf Forrester-Barker wulf.f-b at uhl.nhs.uk
Fri Sep 12 08:41:48 UTC 2003

Pete <pdr at pdr.cx> wrote:

> But then that is done in real-time via analog.  AFAIK, the protocol
doesn't
> allow for digital transfer over USB from MD to PC.

Yes, that is the case. Mind you, in my experience, the transfer of
audio from PC to MD is pretty poor, using either the Sony OpenMG
software or the Real Player stuff (there's a definite lack of sound
quality on the results). As a result, I record stuff onto MD by running
the headphone out on my stereo to the line in socket - going from MD to
PC, it's headphone out to line in on the soundcard, but at least I have
(with WinNMD) the control to say 'copy these tracks and stop'. The
resulting quality is fine for my purposes and means I can set it
running, head off to work, and then pick up the results later in the
day.

It looks like not much development has happened since I bought my NetMD
in February. Alas, it looks like Sony's corporate 'anti piracy' policies
are going to mean that MD ends up in the same landfills fomerly occupied
by Betamax... it's doubly frustrating that it doesn't really make it
that much more difficult for me to copy my CDs (even if it's an audio
transfer and loses a little bit of 'quality') but does prevent it being
a more useful tool when I'm trying to use it as a musician working on
creating new work.

I wonder what else is out there that would let me record two or three
hours worth of rehearsal at decent quality, let me insert markers to
define tracks AND make it easy for me to get that data back onto my PC
(even when I get round to using Linux more at home)? I'll have to keep
an eye on gnetmd and give it a spin sometime.

Wulf

--
Wulf Forrester-Barker (Webmaster)
The Lewisham Hospital NHS Trust

wulf.f-b at uhl.nhs.uk

DISCLAIMER:

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual and
not necessarily the Trust. This email and any files transmitted with
it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual
or entity to whom they are addressed. Any unauthorised disclosure of
the information contained in this email is strictly prohibited.

The contents of this email may contain software viruses which could
damage your own computer system. Whilst we have taken every
reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept liability
for any damage which you sustain as a result of software viruses.
You should therefore carry out your own virus checks before opening
the attachment.

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender or
postmaster at uhl.nhs.uk. Please then delete this email.

University Hospital Lewisham
Tel: 020 8333 3000
Web: http://www.lewisham.nhs.uk/