[Gllug] single boot disk install

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Fri Sep 12 09:14:37 UTC 2003

And verily, didst Tethys announce to the hordes:

> Norton Badrul I A writes:
>
> >Why the only one floppy? what about two, there are lots more there,
>
> Because on the Libretto, the floppy uses the single PCMCIA slot. It also
> doesn't have built in ethernet, so if you want to do a network install,
> you need to take the floppy out to put in a PCMCIA network card -- which
> makes accessing a second floppy somewhat tricky...
>
> I gave up trying with mine, and just removed the hard drive to do an
> install in a desktop machine. And since you're taking the drive out,
> it's the prefect opportunity to replace it with a larger model :-)

But with some distros, like SuSE (which I think allows for net installs),
you load the boot, then go through a little configuration and can select
drivers, where it asks you for the module floppies, select the module, THEN
you can take out the floppy and insert the network card and continue with
the install.

I doubt there're many boot floppy installs now that DON'T require module
floppies, mainly due to the size of the modules and vast number of them.

Of course, once the modules have been loaded with SuSE you could probably
just hit the autodetect menu item, unless you know which module is required
and select it manually.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk