[Gllug] traceroute results [OT]

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Thu Sep 11 14:25:05 UTC 2003

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Chris Bell wrote:

>    I have had recent problems with my ADSL, now I hope cured, and I was only
> able to ping or traceroute as far as some local BT machines. It seems that
> many ISPs are not currently providing some standard services such as ping or
> echo (used by traceroute) that have been used by recent M$ viruses, so I am
> not able to confirm what the problem was, either mechanical, equipment, or
> software failures, or overload due to virus attacks, although in my case it
> appeared to be outside the control of my ISP.

Some ISPs responded to Welchia (the clean-up variant on Blaster) by
filtering all kinds of ICMP traffic. Most of them seem to have realised
their error and reduced the filters to only cover those ports that are
really necessary.

The reason most ISPs acted was that BT contacted them all and basically
said - impose filters or we cut your Central pipe.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/		ADSL Broadband available now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk