[Gllug] re: Music on Hold

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Tue Sep 23 08:30:40 UTC 2003

The point of music on hold is quite simply:

better than silence, which is what most switchboards seems to do when 'on hold'
- since then you at least know you are still connected rather than gone down
a black hole !

Personally, I find some nice relaxing classical music quite pleasant to
listen to on the phone - Albinoni Oboe concertoes for example.

But I would agree that some music on hold is absolutely ghastly - I would
thoroughly not recommend for example the Alliance & Leicester Building Society's
'jingle' they play.

The other important point to note is that telephone systems have limited dynamic
range, so you need to pick something that has a fairly constant level,
otherwise the quiet bits are inaudible and that loud bits 'clip'.

Tim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk