[Gllug] [Fwd: Fedora Project: Announcing New Direction]

Walid Shaari ws at melinux.com
Tue Sep 23 08:09:06 UTC 2003

Red Hat and Fedora Linux are pleased to announce an alignment of their
mutually complementary core proficiencies leveraging them
synergistically
in the creation of the Fedora Project, a paradigm shift for Linux
technology development and rolling early deployment models.

We are <...> *thud*

One two ... one two ... testing, is this thing on?

Hello, this is, um, the Engineers speaking.  We are still really excited
about the project, but this time we have more than just dates.  We hope
fedora.redhat.com will answer lots of your questions, and are sure it
will pose a few new ones.

Why Fedora?

Red Hat has a lot of experience in building solid dependable core
distributions while the Fedora Linux Project has lots of experience in
building effective infrastructure and policy to create many high quality
add on packages.  Both groups decided to merge the two projects and
build
outward using our shared experience, and to use the name "Fedora
Project".

We don't pretend the merge will be smooth or immediate, but we firmly
believe that working with the Fedora Linux Project will get external
projects and add-ons up and running better and faster than we could on
our own and we are proud to be working with them.

The Fedora Project is something special.  It enables Red Hat and the
community to work together to provide the community with rapid rolling
releases and to get new technology into the hands of developers.

With the solid establishment of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Red Hat
now has a platform for predictable change and high quality support
for customers, and for our ISV and IHV partners.  Fedora is about
the community, about cool new technologies, and extending existing
Red Hat tools in a collaborative community.  Our new up2date, for
example, supports YUM and apt-get repositories.

Fellow Fedorans, a new dawn is upon us, let us begin.

Please note:
The http://rhl.redhat.com/ web site has been renamed
        rhl-list at redhat.com -> fedora-list at redhat.com
        rhl-beta-list at redhat.com -> fedora-test-list at redhat.com
        rhl-devel-list at redhat.com -> fedora-devel-list at redhat.com
        rhl-docs-list at redhat.com -> fedora-docs-list at redhat.com
Your subscriptions have been preserved, moved over to the new names
for the lists.

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk