[Gllug] Debian: Laptop.

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 15 15:59:06 UTC 2003

On Mon 15 Sep, Tethys wrote:

> Lets say you've just bought a shiny new graphics card that isn't
> supported by your existing X server setup. You put it in the machine,
> and boot up. The machine tries to go into X, and due to the peculiarities
> of this particular card, rather than just fail to start X, it's locks up
> the machine, displaying a whole pile of bank nothingness on the screen,
> and refusing to accept input from keyboard or mouse.
>
> No, this isn't a hypothetical situation. I've had it happen. Being able
> to just append a "3" to my kernel arguments to get a sane system is a
> really useful thing to be able to do. Similarly, being able to boot to
> run level 2 (full multiuser locally, but no network services) when your
> NIS/NFS server is down is equally handy.
>
> Tet

   I often use a battered little old black and white monitor to do the
initial load even when I have some modern video card. I normally see an
error message that X is totally bemused by this so I am dumped straight back
to a text screen, otherwise I just <ctrl><alt><F1-F6> to go to a text
screen, although not all are available during the initial load. Once I am in
text mode the <ctrl> key is not required to switch between them.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk