[Gllug] single boot disk install

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Fri Sep 12 09:29:03 UTC 2003

Andrew Halliwell writes:

>I doubt there're many boot floppy installs now that DON'T require module
>floppies, mainly due to the size of the modules and vast number of them.

The problem with that was that at the time[1], there was no Linux support
for the Libretto floppy. So while the BIOS could boot a kernel image
from floppy, anything that relied on kernel access to the floppy (for
example, a second disk) wouldn't work. Thus the need for a single floppy
PCMCIA aware installer...

Tet

[1] There is now a driver for it, although I haven't tried it myself.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk