[Gllug] Market for low-cost Linux servers/networks?

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Sep 10 08:03:21 UTC 2003

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 01:25:01AM +0100, Garry Heaton wrote:
> Is there a market for low-cost Linux servers running on old hardware? Whilst
> it's a great hobby I'd like to be able to earn a few bob for my labours,
> considering the amount of time I've put in learning how to configure and
> administer the standard set of Linux services.
>
> Have any of you been able to sell your services on top of providing these
> low-end servers for small organisations?

I doubt there can be much of a market for this. Remember that the cost
of hardware is only a tiny part of the cost of installing a
system. What happens if, say, an old system crashes because the BIOS
doesn't understand the geometry of a modern drive? You could waste
hours or days fixing that sort of thing, costing the company big
UKP-UKP-UKP.

But conversely I've been able to sell the skills that I learned by
fiddling with old kit to organisations setting up new kit.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj
Merjis Ltd. http://www.merjis.com/ - all your business data are belong to you.