[Gllug] Plug for Ogg Vorbis and OSS on BBC Click Online

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Sep 2 00:38:52 UTC 2003

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Richard Turner wrote:

> Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 18:22:42 +0100
> From: Richard Turner <richard at disabledliving.org.uk>
> To: Greater London Linux Users Group <gllug at linux.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: [Gllug] Plug for Ogg Vorbis and OSS on BBC Click Online
>
> On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 14:36, Formi wrote:
>
> >  Do you have any hard evidence to back up that? Or is it just wishful
> >  thinking?
> >
> >  It never stops amusing me this habit of a lot of british people of going around saying
> >  "We are the best of the world at this and that..." without knowing the full facts.
>
> I'm sorry, are you asking me to product hard evidence to support an
> opinion?  I'm afraid all I have is personal experience and the knowledge
> that so many British TV programmes are widely exported throughout the
> world :)

 Ahem, there are hundreds of countries in the world... to make an
 statement like the one you made you need to have points of comparison
 wich again rank in the hundreds.

 The U$	widely export a lot, most of it of highly dubious quality or
 worthness...

 In this country as well as many others, importing crap is usually much
 cheaper than producing anything locally. And then you have the media
 cartels and the rest.  So you tend to end up with things like Channel 5.

 Many times you can flick through the terrestial channels and find nothing
 other than the same variation of the same north-american trash.

 The BBC great, but how many countries of the size of the UK give the
 dedicate such a huge amount of money to a national TV/Radio? Which
 survives in limbo... Even in that highly unique position it is still
 not clear to me if it is good value.

 How many foreign programs are shown in here I wonder.

 The Piano Teacher, is on Channel 4 now, how exotic!

 Formi.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk