[Gllug] [ OT ] Raritan Z-series Z4200U KVM switch

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Apr 14 10:10:31 UTC 2004

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 10:40:25AM +0100, Chris wrote:
> On Wed 14 Apr, Tethys wrote:
> >

> >     all my years in IT, it has never ceased to amaze me how backwards PC
> >     class machines are...
>
>    You mean mass produced down to a price to do a relatively simple job in
> an office?

It doesn't cost any more to do that with a good design than with a poor
one.  The PC design is poor in many respects and that has nothing to do
with its cheapness or simple job.  How simple is the unnecessary
menagerie of different connectors, for example?

The people who designed the original IBM PC never expected it to be the
success it is or used as it now is.  The current messy design can be
ascribed to the fact that nobody owns or controls the PC, so that not
even Intel have the power to impose a clean-up of the design (assuming
they had the desire) and that backwards compatibility has been king.
While this has in many ways been a positive phenomenon (creating a
no-mans land where Linux and the 386 BSDs could flourish, for example),
it doesn't magically improve any of the flaws of the design.

--
Bruce

I see a mouse.  Where?  There, on the stair.  And its clumsy wooden
footwear makes it easy to trap and kill.  -- Harry Hill