[Gllug] Setting up SW firewall (Was Sharing NTL broadband usingweedless router)

Benjamin Edwards bedwards at rnli.org.uk
Tue Apr 27 13:23:15 UTC 2004

My preference would of been IPCop but I dont want to have to use another
machene.  The room I am in is not that big and the noise will keep me
awake.  Eventualy I may get as Firmware firewall router but for the mean
time I will have to set the firewall up on the main debian box.

--
Ben Edwards - 2287

>>> ar at nooneishere.co.uk 04/27/04 01:36pm >>>
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 13:36:41 +0100, Benjamin Edwards
<bedwards at rnli.org.uk> wrote:

> Therefore the NTL box is going to be initially connected straight to
> the Debian Box (I will authenticate using windowz).  What I want to
know
> is the easiest way of setting up a firewall no this box (preferably
with
> snort).  I think I can filter between eth0:0 and eth0:1 but am not
too
> sure how to set this up and what firewall (debian) package to use.
Is
> there one with sensible preset rules set up and a web (webmin)
> interface.

I would recommend using shorewall. It was easy to set up and appears
to be very well thought out. It also has a webmin module, although
personally i've never used it.
--
Andrew Roberts                              ASCII ribbon campaign /"\
ar AT nooneishere.co.uk                      - against HTML email \ /
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk

"This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential. It is for the intended recipient only. If you have received the email in error please notify the author by replying to this email. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not disclose, distribute, copy, print, or rely on this email. Any views expressed by an individual within this email which do not constitute or record professional advice relating to the RNLI, do not necessarily reflect the views of the organisation.

Registered Charity Number 209603