[Gllug] Wireless access point/ADSL Modem/Router

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 27 21:38:55 UTC 2004

On Tue 27 Apr, will wrote:

> Chris Bell wrote:
> >>[0] I phoned up and asked them if a certain product would dial my ADSL
> >>connection, the salesman said yes[1] so I bought one.  I got it a few
> >>days later to discover that it doesn't.  I called up and they offered me
> >>either a discount off an ADSL modem to do the dialing, which was a lousy
> >>deal, or said I could return it although I would lose the postage both
> >>ways if I did.
> >
> >    Not sure what you mean by dialling your ADSL connection.
>
> I plug it into the phone line and configure it, and it presents me with
> an ethernet socket I can plug into my network.  I don't think it
> requires too much imagination to understand what I meant.  I reckon I
> would have confused the salesman (who today told me he had never heard
> of WEP) if I had userd your description.
>
> Will.

   But there is no dialling involved, in the same way as there is no
dialling involved in an ethernet connection. Your modem should just continue
to attempt to connect and exchange data packets with the dedicated equipment
in the local exchange, and ensure that the local link is always up, running,
and available. If the link is broken at any time, for example by BT during
maintenance, it should continue to attempt to re-connect.
   If this does not happen there could be excessive line signal attenuation
or some other real fault.
   Routeing on from the exchange equipment permanently connected to your
line is done by BT. Once the data packets from you arrive at the local
exchange they are passed into the main BT data transport system, and then
hopefully reappear at their destination.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk