[Gllug] Interesting article on the MS monopoly

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 16 11:35:44 UTC 2004

On Fri 16 Apr, Jason Clifford wrote:

> As ever the real barrier to Linux on the desktop is the lack of the
> particular applications users want.
>
> Getting people using Free Software applications on Windows systems can
> help towards migration to Linux but desktop Linux does still need a more
> sane default configuration particularly in respect of font support as you
> say.
>
> Jason Clifford

   By contrast, my old Acorn system still looks good after over 10 years.
Anti-aliasing is standard, and font design was always simple, using a
"scaffold" skeleton which ensured that it was legible on screen at the
smallest font sizes, bounding boxes to assist auto kerning, etc. There were
plenty of fairly cheap professionally designed fonts for best results, and
huge quantities of free home-made fonts in all kinds of interesting designs.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk