[Gllug] Interesting article on the MS monopoly

Garry Heaton garry at heaton6.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Apr 16 11:44:31 UTC 2004

Chris Bell wrote:

>    By contrast, my old Acorn system still looks good after over 10 years.
> Anti-aliasing is standard, and font design was always simple, using a
> "scaffold" skeleton which ensured that it was legible on screen at the
> smallest font sizes, bounding boxes to assist auto kerning, etc. There were
> plenty of fairly cheap professionally designed fonts for best results, and
> huge quantities of free home-made fonts in all kinds of interesting designs.

My gripe is that now we have Bitstream Vera and a decent selection of fonts
for Linux, many apps are STILL not configured by default to find them. I
just don't understand it. Why can't OO.org find xfs fonts at boot? This has
got to impact any ordinary user considering switching from Windows. It's
almost like we're sabotaging ourselves.

Garry

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk