[Gllug] Interesting article on the MS monopoly

NorthLondon John northlondonjohn at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 15 22:04:55 UTC 2004

> On Thu, 2004-04-15 at 06:32, Christopher Hunter wrote:
>> Yes.  That's certainly a good start, and makes later migration much
>> easier -
>> it's an approach I've used.  However - I still find the objection
>> "How can it
>> be any good if it's free?" sometimes difficult to overcome!

Tell them to cough up circa £100 for OS X Panther.

Seriously.

Solid BSD base, user friendly GUI, clustered by Virginia, lots of free
software. And not free-as-in-beer, if that's their criteria.

Going off topic, I think that what Apple is doing is going to have
major gains for us Gnu-dists. Not just the BSd base, the free developer
tools, kHTML in Safari etc etc etc; the real killer - although it's not
open source - is selling iLife for £39. Not much money for 5 top
quality programs (although iTunes is free, iDVD can only be used on
DVD-RW models, etc) - that actually devalues the stupid amounts charged
for Office, Photoshop and all this so-called "professional" software.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk