[Gllug] Interesting article on the MS monopoly

Garry Heaton garry at heaton6.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Apr 15 23:12:48 UTC 2004

I find it embarrasing to note that most Open Source apps that run on XP,
notably OO and Mozilla, boot and run much quicker than on Linux. As for
OSX/Panther, my copy of Mozilla 1.5 is an absolute dog.

Kernel 2.6 notwithstanding, if any XP user compares Open Source apps running
on XP to the same running on Linux/OSX he's going to stick with XP if boot
speed is the main criterion. For most Windows users I imagine font rendering
would be next on the list of priorities and here again most Linux distros
fail in their default configuration. OO comes with barely a handful of
decent fonts in the Fedora Core distro and can't even see what the
XFontServer has to offer unless configured manually.

I prefer Linux over XP for many reasons but speed and usability of desktop
apps doesn't come into it.

Garry

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk