[Gllug] DHCP and DDNS setup

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Thu Apr 29 20:44:46 UTC 2004

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 09:31:08PM +0100, Dylan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> As my home LAN grows (and my enthusiasm for getting more geeky follows
> suit - or is it the other way round...?) Anyway, I'm getting on to
> setting up DHCP and DDNS  to get more automagic stuff done. I have
> successfully set up internal DNS and DNS forwarding, and will be
> playing with DHCP at the weekend - at it's most basic it looks fairly
> straight forward. I have a couple of queries though.
>
> Up until now, I have been using a domain which cannot conflict with a
> public domain (etta.local) but I envisage providing (partial) public
> DNS for some hosts on my domain so that my ISP would serve name
> resolution for mail.dylan.me.uk, www.dylan.me.uk etc, but I could serve
> somehost.dylan.me.uk. Is this possible? Would I want to retain my
> internal domain and simply serve only the host(s) which would be
> publicly available, or should I go over to using dylan.me.uk as my
> internal domain as well?

The outside world won't care - but it will be easier for you if you just
have one set of names. Consider your laptop making connections to your
main server when it is at home and somewhere else. You either have to
have 2 completely different setups for it or minimise changes by keeping
names the same -- where possible.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

FATHERS-4-JUSTICE - Campaigning for equal rights for parents and the
best interests of our children. See http://www.fathers-4-justice.org
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk