[Gllug] DHCP and DDNS setup

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Thu Apr 29 20:31:08 UTC 2004

Hi All,

As my home LAN grows (and my enthusiasm for getting more geeky follows
suit - or is it the other way round...?) Anyway, I'm getting on to
setting up DHCP and DDNS  to get more automagic stuff done. I have
successfully set up internal DNS and DNS forwarding, and will be
playing with DHCP at the weekend - at it's most basic it looks fairly
straight forward. I have a couple of queries though.

Up until now, I have been using a domain which cannot conflict with a
public domain (etta.local) but I envisage providing (partial) public
DNS for some hosts on my domain so that my ISP would serve name
resolution for mail.dylan.me.uk, www.dylan.me.uk etc, but I could serve
somehost.dylan.me.uk. Is this possible? Would I want to retain my
internal domain and simply serve only the host(s) which would be
publicly available, or should I go over to using dylan.me.uk as my
internal domain as well?

I run two networks as follows:

Gateway -> 192.168.250.0 -> clients <- 192.168.0.0 <- server

The gateway provides firewall, NAT, etc and DNS for the clients, and the
server has an 'occasional' connection to the gateway (basically, it
gets connected for booting and when I want to pull an online update.)
Each client machine is thus dual homed. I would clearly need to run two
DHCP servers - one on the gateway and one on the server, but as the
server and gateway are not permanently connected there would be
problems with the DDNS communication from the server's DHCP to the
gateway's DNS. I figure it would be possible to run two DNS servers so
that one on the server provided internal name resolution and one on the
gateway provided external forwarding and public name resolution, but
how simple would it be to set the clients up to do this?

Cheers
Dylan

--
"I see your Schwartz is as big as mine"