[Gllug] Register article: "Open source UK" gets trade body

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri Apr 23 14:46:58 UTC 2004

Now this is something I've been saying for a while that we all need:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/23/open_source_trade_association/

Doctors, for example, don't need to worry constantly about government
bringing in stupid laws to make their work illegal, because they have
a powerful and well-funded trade body (the GMC) to defend their
interests.  The same goes for all sorts of groups, but not free
software programmers, who individually are powerless to defend against
software patents / overzealous copyright laws / manoeuverings from
large monopolies / etc.  which literally threaten to put us out of
work.

Rich.

PTHRLIB is a library for writing small, efficient and fast servers in C.
HTTP, CGI, DBI, lightweight threads: http://www.annexia.org/freeware/pthrlib/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk