[Gllug] Register article: "Open source UK" gets trade body

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Fri Apr 23 15:21:49 UTC 2004

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 03:46:58PM +0100, Richard wrote:
> Now this is something I've been saying for a while that we all need:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/23/open_source_trade_association/

Who appointed these people?  Answer: they appointed themselves.  I will
be very surprised if they represent anybody's interests but their own.

"The association will promote open source in general, and Zope, Plone
and Python technolgies in particular".  Sorry, but the particular may
well come into conflict with the general.  In fact, it already has: why
call a general trade body *Zope* UK?  Zope is the name of a particular
application, so to people familiar with OS applications it would tend to
indicate a specific interest.  To other people, it's a meaningless and
(frankly) stupid word and represents nothing.

"the hope is that with one body to present the views of the open source
community to government and other organisations.."

Eh?  One body?  Are they going to get the FSF or GNU or OSF to shut up
or channel their comments through Zope UK?  I doubt it.  I don't think
they even consulted with anybody else before claiming primacy.

Quote from their website: "ZopeUK is a trade organisation for companies
who develop and promote Zope, Plone and Python within the United
Kingdom."  Looks fairly particular to me.  Ok, so they then go on to say
their aims are " To promote open source in general and Zope, Plone and
Python technologies in particular." but the only link on their site,
apart from the press release, is titled "What is Zope?".

This is a non-story.  One credulous journalist regurgitates a press
release rather than do any proper work.

--
Bruce

It is impolite to tell a man who is carrying you on his shoulders that
his head smells.