[Gllug] re: premium-rate dialups

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Wed Apr 7 12:32:48 UTC 2004

On Wednesday, 7 Apr 2004, t.clarke wrote:
>Personally I think the whole premium-rate system is something we could largely
>do without.  Certainly, my life hasn't been 'enriched' by their use.
>Seems to me they are largely used as a means of screwing the gullible.

Largely they are used for smut; any expensive technological
development is paid for by smut, but the vendors never want to say
that...

>For example:
>Is the Capital of France either:
>a) Berlin
>b) Paris
>c) Brussels
>Phone a premium rate number (for over a quid) and if you get it right (very
>difficult) your enter a draw for a prize.

Yes; I noticed a couple of years ago that the equivalent
"competitions" during Grand Prix changed from nominally challenging
questions ("who won four races in a row in 1957?") to obviously
trivial ones ("is the world's most successful German driver named a)
Schumacher b) de la Rosa c) Thorvalds"), which does rather expose the
whole thing as a scam.

--
David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk