[Gllug] Mail sorting

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Fri Apr 16 12:15:59 UTC 2004

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 12:49:05PM +0100, Richard wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The situation: fetchmail retrieves my email from an ISP's POP3 server
> and drops it into my machine where I read it using IMAP (netscape if
> anyone cares). I'm then sorting email into different server-side folders
> using the client.
>
> This is quite ugly. I'd much prefer to do the sorting of messages on the
> (IMAP) server, without troubling the client software.

One option is to use procmail (assuming you are using an IMAP that
defaults to storing mail in user home directories, like UW Imap).  The
mta on the mail server may well already be configured to use procmail
for local deliveries.

Alternatively, some IMAP servers support their own filtering rules (e.g
Cyrus and SIEVE).  What are you using for the server software?

--
Bruce

Hierophant: someone who remembers, when you are on the way down,
everything you did to them on the way up.