[Gllug] Interesting article on the MS monopoly

Garry Heaton garry at heaton6.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Apr 16 12:09:25 UTC 2004

Bruce Richardson wrote:
> "We" who?  I don't use those apps and have no part in their development,
> nor am I a member of any movement to persuade the masses to run Linux on
> their desktops.  There is no "Us", just a huge number of people using
> Free Software for different reasons, within which are some
> movements/communities working to their own goals.  Many of the people
> using the software place more importance on other groups of which they
> are a member.
>
> Go find the "We" who you think are or should be trying to achieve what
> you want and complain to them, or join up and help them.  Don't assume
> that anybody on this list is a part of that.

Why do you think we have such standards as the LSB? There has to be a degree
of "we" about it all for anything to move forward. Maybe the LSB could be
extended to include standard configs for basic usability. The current "each
app to it's own" state of affairs is holding back Linux adoption IMHO.

If you don't think desktop Linux is an issue you haven't been reading the IT
press much lately.

Garry

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk