[Gllug] What's the point of content-less Spam?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 27 10:06:31 UTC 2004

On Tue 27 Apr, Pete Ryland wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 10:00:23PM +0100, Chris Bell wrote:
> >    I have also received some relatively blank emails. My system does not run
> > anything, but it does allow me to view everything in an editor, so I can see
> > all strange font commands, web page references, 7-bit coded worms, and the
> > full header. Anything that gets past junk filtering is immediately forwarded
> > complete to the sender's ISP.
>
> How are you determining what the sender's ISP is?
>
> Pete

   Demon show the full details of their receiving gateway, and immediately
below that is the authenticated sending IP address, together with any
details, forged or valid, as supplied by the sender. A whois search on the
true IP address supplies the sender's ISP details, which usually include an
abuse at address, and I include the true IP address and date received in the
subject line when I forward the entire junk mail complete with header and
all attatchments to the ISP.
   The amount of junk received has been reduced by Demon starting to use
Brightmail filtering, it reduced even more when I started forwarding junk to
ISPs, and I have not received any since I mentioned what I was doing on this
newsgroup. Perhaps our mail is being read by one of the senders.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk