Smart card reader (was: Re: [Gllug] natwest fantasticness)

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Tue Apr 6 14:34:40 UTC 2004

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 02:39:19PM +0100, David Irvine wrote:
> > > Anyway as an upshot of this I now have a smartcard reader with a
> > > serial port connector.
> > > Ideas on how to make this thing go under Linux?  Are smartcards and
> > > readers standardized?  I'm a bit reluctant to plug in my bank card in
> > > there at the moment :-)
>
> Probably best to try with a reward card rather than your bank card.
>
> I wrote some epos software a while ago, and most of the stuff was
> modbus, it was fairly simple to use, it just spewed the raw data down
> the serial line which you could read into your application, it was
> terminated with crlf.
>
> I've never tried writing something however.

Isn't there a challenge & response involved somehow?  I thought that
was the point of the chips - otherwise there's no additional security
over just having a magstripe.

Anyway FWIW my reward card doesn't have a chip, but I've found the
Mondex card which went with the original BT trial.

Rich.

http://www.YouUnlimited.co.uk/ - management courses
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk